In the ever-evolving world of SEO, staying ahead of the curve is paramount. When Google rolled out its “helpful content update” in September 2022, many sites faced a decline in organic traffic.
Among them was one of our clients, a well-established brand in the healthcare industry, that saw a sudden decline in organic traffic due to the algorithm change.
We commenced the project in January 2023 focusing on the core understandings from the “helpful content update.” Clearly, it aimed to reward content that provided a satisfying experience to users, focusing on people-first content.
With this insight, we embarked on a journey to transform our client’s content strategy. Here’s what we did:
- Layered the existing content to ensure that it was sufficiently informational and the intended audience did not need to look for additional sources of knowledge.
- Enriched the content with audience queries to make it more valuable to the readers.
- Created fresh content that was primarily made for humans rather than the search engines.
- Added more expert opinions to make the content more authoritative and strengthen EEAT(Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness).
- On-page optimisation for important pages (again, keeping it relevant to intent and not just search engines)
- The site’s impressions per month increased by a staggering 241%.
- The clicks soared by 310%.
- The website started ranking for all variations of the targeted primary keywords.
- Various relevant keywords started ranking on the first page of search results and also won featured snippet spots in a hyper-competitive industry.
The Google helpful content update does not invalidate SEO best practices; it emphasizes the importance of creating content that resonates with human needs.
For our client, we managed to turn a challenge into an opportunity by reevaluating their existing content and aligning it with the audience’s needs. The results were not just recovery but exponential growth.
SEO is a constant execution of tweaks, updates and making changes until important keywords rank highly. Nothing is set in stone, once a change is made and the changes need to be tracked and managed.
Everytime Google updates its algorithm, there will be turbulence in keyword rankings and these need to be sorted out fast.
For more case studies, visit our website at https://www.growth.pro/seo-case-study